Hmm...

I've been following the soft synth thread with interest because I've been thinking of getting a decent sound module for my getting-long-in-the-tooth MIDI keyboard. But I gather from the comments here that getting an outboard box is no longer a good way to go -- that even for live performances, I'm better off using the keyboard to trigger a laptop running a soft synth. (I have to say, I'm a little skeptical about that. Also, I don't own a laptop yet, though I'm planning on getting one soon.)

My needs are limited. I just want a really good acoustic piano sample and a really good Rhodes sample. That's it. I don't care about orchestral instruments or anything else (though I suppose a borderline acceptable string ensemble patch would be okay -- not a deal-breaker, though). I don't care about sequencing or any of that stuff. I just want a low-hassle way of triggering the samples from my MIDI keyboard in real time, and it has to work with OS X. I would also want it to work with Finale MIDI playback.

Any suggestions? Is a soft synth really the way to go for this, or would an outboard sound module be less of a hassle? *Are* there any outboard sound modules that match soft synths in terms of quality? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"