This can be traced back to the days of plainchant, in which a device called
"hocket" (French for "hiccup") was essentially a melody passed around
between lines.  I personally have used this a lot, sometimes to the
annoyance of performers.  Once I had a flute, clarinet, and alto saxophone
perform a fairly quick descending chromatic scale in which they each traded
off, one note at a time.  However, because *I* played the clarinet part in
the first performance and was making myself do it too, they didn't have much
to complain about.

Brad Beyenhof

An entire movement of my _Procrustean Concerto for the Bb Clarinet_ is hocketed from beginning to end, because it is a set of variations on a Chilean folk theme that was originally played on a set of double-panpipes, on wh. hocketing is an integral part of the technique. To get the maximum mileage out of the hockets, I have the violin sections separated...
--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/