String players are going to change whatever bowings you put in the music anyway, so you should leave them out, unless there are a couple you really, absolutely want done a specific way (and even then, they're gonna get changed, you can count on it.)

Make your phrasing clear from your slurs and other markings and leave the bowings up to the performers.

David Froom wrote:
Hello,

I am hoping to tap collective wisdom here.  I have an orchestral piece that
I'm revising right now.  It has had two performances (good orchestras).
After the first performance, I kept the bowings put in by the string section
leaders in the parts.  The performers of the second piece rebowed a few
places.

Now that I am revising, and making a new set of parts, I am wondering if I
should include the bowings in the parts?  I have never done this, knowing
that section leaders will do a better job than I would.  However, since I
have a nice set of bowings, should I include these in the string parts?  I'm
guessing that if I do, the section leaders would pick over them and change
the ones they don't like.  In that case, should I just leave the parts
unbowed?

Obviously, I have slurs and articulations.  I'm just talking about the
standard downbow/upbow markings.

On a side note:  I did this piece originally in 3.7.2.  I have done a fair
amount of the revising in 3.7.2, and I am impressed with how well the
program stands up!  I have done some of the work in 2003, and I am also
impressed with how well the program converts the old files, and also how
much has improved in the intervening years.  The revisions were not
extensive enough to require re-extracting the parts -- faster to simply
rework each one. It seems that after converting a part, all I need do is
remove the tie/dot alterations, reset the tie settings to default, remove
system locks, respace and recalc -- and I am ready to go.

Thanks,

David Froom

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]