On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 09:40 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Academic discounts are good for all users of Finale because they are
a way for Coda to continually add to the user base that buys upgrades
and keeps the company afloat.

And in the end, what matters it the direct competition: Sibelius has
an academic discount, so Finale must have one, too. [...]

This talk of upgrade pricing reminds me of something. I'd be curious to know what the software-savvy people on this group think of the pricing scheme that forgoes periodic upgraded versions altogether and instead charges an annual subscription.

I've seen this for Radio Userland, which makes some sort of blog software, and I think a few others have adopted the scheme as well. The idea is that the software is entirely downloadable, and your subscription gives you the right to download as much as you care to. I don't know software design enough to understand the details, but apparently it's organized in a properly modular fashion so that they can add a simple feature without upgrading the whole package. At any time, a subscriber can go online and pick an "update" function, which will somehow read what you have loaded on your system and what you're missing and fill in whatever new features you haven't gotten yet. If you let your subscription lapse, you still have the software on your computer frozen at whatever level it was when you last downloaded.

I thought it was an interesting concept, and it occurred to me that it would be nice for something like Finale, which is still in an expansion phase in terms of features. I have no idea how well it works from a business point of view, but Radio Userland seems very enthusiastic about the scheme.

mdl