At 09:42 AM 9/12/03 -0400, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>Well, that remarks begs the question: did you mean to say "bomb"?
>And that remark in turn does NOT beg the question, because the
>expression does NOT mean "demanding that the question be asked." When
>did that start up?

Looks like the language has moved on. I've never heard 'beg the question'
used in the formally correct sense in my reasonably middle-aged lifetime,
except in certain academic quarters and by people who are making the point
that 'beg the question' doesn't mean 'raise the question' when, indeed, to
most people, it does. And heck, the question-beggers already have plenty of
synonyms. Leave that on to the myriad [of] other changes, including that
one, which has switched away from & back to its 'more correct' meaning. :)
:) :)

Michael Quinion has a good summary:
http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-beg1.htm

Dennis