At 8:57 AM 09/12/03, Richard Huggins wrote:

>Is there something I'm not getting? A hyphen is both a "code character" (its
>presence signals Finale to do something) AND an actual hyphen (a grammatical
>character) that you can see and that means something. In other words, it's
>not as if it's unimportant whether it is seen or not.

My fault.  I shouldn't have said "grayed out", but rather displayed in some
way that makes it stand out (a different color, maybe, or bracketed). I
meant to suggest that its appearance needs to be distinctive, not that it
should be less prominent.

>A hard hyphen certainly is available and possible. In the Mac we use
>Option-hyphen to create a hard, non-breaking, ("graphic," you might say)
>hyphen.

The option-hyphen creates an en-dash, which in almost every font is longer
than a regular hyphen. This is unacceptable for use as a hyphen by
professional publishing standard. Non-breaking hyphen is available in
Windows fonts and Unicode, but not in basic Mac fonts.

mdl