However, I also say TROMbone sometimes, even though I play one, and also
every now and then, UMbrella, both of which induce spousal laughter.  Maybe
millions DO say TROMbone, and we should call your daughter on that one.  But
in any case, she should continue to laugh at "robutt" without a doubt.

Stu

In America, at least, it's the pronunciation of place names that is constantly surprising. I grew up in Washington state, where a good portion of the town names are native American in origin. In the years when I was constantly on the road, I learned how the natives pronounce "Louisville" (LOO-uh-vl), Norfolk (NOR-fuck), and a lot of other variations. When we moved to SW Virginia we learned that "Appalachian" is properly pronounced ap-uh-LATCH-un rather than ap-uh-LAY-chn, and we also have nearby towns called "Buena Vista" (BIEW-na VIS-ta) and "Pulaski" (piew-LAS-ki). And of course there's "Cairo" (KAY-ro) Illinois.

Others may disagree, but IMHO the proper pronunciation of place names is the pronunciation used by the natives, not what it looks like on paper. Thus, "Worchestershire" can be WOO-ster and I'm perfectly happy. And no non-native can figure out how to pronouce Polish or Welsh words from the way they look (like the Duke University basketball coach)!

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale