On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Al Graves wrote:

I am in the process of purchasing a new Mac Powerbook which will have System
10. I will also be upgrading to Finale 2004 when it is available. I have
been using an older Powerbook (System 8.6) and a serial MIDI interface to
connect to my synthesizer. The new Powerbook will not have a serial port.
What is the best option: a new USB MIDI interface or a USB to serial
converter and use my present interface. If the best option is a USB MIDI
interface what do you suggest? Am I likely to encounter any other problems?

Al,

If you plan to do any MIDI work in Classic at all (e.g., with older versions of Finale, say), you will want to get a new USB MIDI interface from M-Audio. They are the only manufacturer whose interfaces seem to work reliably in Classic. (Of course, they also work great in native OS X MIDI applications.)

Cheers,

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]