At 3:18 PM -0800 9/22/03, Mark D. Lew wrote:
At 4:31 PM 09/22/03, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

Not a very practical response, sorry. I need this very soon.

Does anyone else know the ins and outs of the manual spacing? Why
doesn't "incorporate manual spacing" appear to work in this case? How
can I stop Finale from "correcting" my spacing?

Are you sure you have automatic music spacing turned off? Everything you describe sounds familiar to me except for the part about Finale continually readjusting it when you're not asking it to. Forget about "incorporate manual spacing" for now, just make sure that automatic music spacing is off. Then you can fix the measure at your leisure and it will stay put. (If you need music spacing for the rest of the piece, just select every measure except the problem measure and do it with the "4".)

Part of the problem is what to do when there are whole notes in the other staves. Selecting all the measures except the problem measure in this case does not leave enough room for all the entries in the problem measure.

I have been turning off auto spacing. But things get wonky when I turn my head for a moment. I don't know why this is. And my problem is still no clearer about what to do with the measure once and for all, when I need to print it.

Actually, scratch that. I just got a brilliant idea and tested it, and it worked. Here it is:

Seconds work properly with only ONE note per layer, so I enter only one note in each, space it, then last of all ADD THE EXTRA NOTE WITHOUT RESPACING! I am so bright, no wonder my dad calls me Sonny!

Since the phantom respacer only seems to be in operation when I am entering music, I just wait til the end, space everything, then enter the missing pitches, and I am one with the universe.

Thanks for the help.

Christopher