A little report:
I have now successfully converted a Finale2004 eps file into a pdf using
GSview (Gostscript 8.11 and Gsview 4.42beta). I had a couple error messages
about the bounding box, but I didn't find any differences in accepting or
ignoring these messages.
I must say that now all the graphic eps exports from Finale (on my computer)
work with Word, the Adobe line of products (Acrobat, Illustrator, Indesign,
and PageMaker), and GSview.
I do not include preview and (definitely not fonts!) in Finale. I have as
said used GSview and when I open this pdf in Acrobat the fonts are properly
displayed and embedded.

I have experimented on using different postscript drivers when generating
eps graphic such as Adobe generic postscript driver, the driver for my
Brother Postscript printer, and even Acrobat distiller (not printing to it
but using it as postscript driver in the Finale printer setup). This didn't
make any difference.

All my postscript fonts are installed in the \WINDOWS\Fonts folder.

As I recall I formerly have had problems with eps export in WinXP.
Especially Acrobat 5 rejected the eps files (offending commands/lines). With
Acrobat 6 this is not the case. :-) The font embedment which doesn't work
with the fonts distributed with Finale is solved (on my computer) with the
new fonts I have generated.

(I have always suspected the postscript implementation in WinXP for screwing
this up and in case of the Susato music font I had to generate a new version
as the spacing/kerning of some characters didn't work properly in WinXP.)

Any kind of feedback on this issue is welcome.

Mike Cholewa