> I, too, have heard that many instrumentalists (specifically violinists)
prefer leger lines to 8va symbols. I can accept this up to 5-leger-line (and
a half) c4. Do players really prefer leger lines even higher? I'm currently
working on a passage for violin that hangs around e4 (6 leger lines in
treble clef). Isaav Asimov used to say the human mind can only distinguish
up to five items as a unit. Above that, we slow down and count sub-groups.
This is certainly my own experience. So going past 5 leger lines has always
seemed problematic to me (never mind the vertical spacing issues).

> Are there fiddle players here who would rather see 6 leger lines for e4?
As a horn player I'm perfectly comfortable down to written pedal Bb with
leger lines. Below that, I want bass clef (either new or old--just be sure
to say which it is). But this may just be a function of what we're used to.

In my experience, pro-violinists are used to seeing and distinguishing 'up
there' very easily.  I can see your point re. the 5-ledger-line issue, but
taking Asimov's principle into account, how it probably works is that
anything higher than 5-lines is going to be a D if it's on the line, or E if
above it - since they're really the only two notes above the C that are
going to be used.

I would only write it as an octave sign if it was a single, isolated note -
certainly not passagework.  Same with writing for flute, clarinet etc.  Or
else maybe if it was in a concerto or some such that I knew wasn't
necessarily going to be sight-read.

Matthew