At 9/30/2003 06:47 PM, Matthew Hindson Fastmail Acct wrote:

>I would only write it as an octave sign if it was a single, isolated note -
>certainly not passagework.  Same with writing for flute, clarinet etc.  Or
>else maybe if it was in a concerto or some such that I knew wasn't
>necessarily going to be sight-read.

As a clarinet player, I NEVER want to see 8va signs, either up or down.

It makes the music difficult to read. And I am an excellent sight-reader. In fact, I often sight-read pieces better than I play them after I have practised them ;-)

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://personal.monad.net/~p_daley