On 6 Oct 2003 at 11:23, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 10:56 AM 10/6/03 -0400, Andrew Stiller wrote:
> >Repeat signs. Last time this came up, one member of this list
> >insisted that all repeat signs, in whatever repertoire, were, in
> >fact, optional. Well they're not in my music!
>
> Likewise. I have stopped using them. Copy/paste is just as effective
> in these days, even if it makes the score look longer. Anyway, it's an
> opportunity to rework the repeated section a little. :) :)

Would you rewrite a section if you really wanted the exact same music
heard a second time? If rewrite it, it will take performers a long
time to figure out that the material is the same, and it will also
result in parts that are more unwieldy.

Repeats serve an important analytical function in telling a musician
something about the structure of the pieces.

Of course, I'm pretty certain that you're not writing any minuets and
trios. ;)