In the pieces I'm editing, the alto part, written in the traditional alto clef (C3), of course, is generally fairly low, in other words more often in the bottom half of the staff than in the upper half. Which means, transcribed into treble clef, more often than not on ledger lines. I'm very tempted to use the modern tenor clef (G clef at the octave) instead of the regular treble clef. Is this something that will upset singers or choir conductors? Actually, the alto clef is much closer to the former (2nd) than to the former (7th), at it would be more logical to use the same clef as the tenor. What do you think?

Dennis

The part should be in treble clef, as others have suggested. The alto clef was used for many alto parts until well into the 20th c. (therefore an alto singer *ought* to be able to read it, though many can't), but the tenor clef is completely out of bounds, since no alto singer will be familiar with it or have any experience w. it.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/