At 5:05 PM 10/28/03, Andrew Stiller wrote:

>The part should be in treble clef, as  others have suggested. The
>alto clef was used for many alto parts until well into the 20th c.
>(therefore an alto singer  *ought* to be able to read it, though many
>can't), but the tenor clef is completely out of bounds, since  no
>alto singer will be familiar with it or have  any experience w. it.

Well, that's not quite true.  Many female choristers with low voices will
have been, at one time or another in the course of their career, asked to
join the men in the tenor section, so it's incorrect to say that no alto
singer will be familiar with the octave-displaced treble clef.

That said, I concur completely with all the others who say the alto part
should be written in a normal treble clef with all the leger lines.  I'm
pretty confident that alto singers would been even more perplexed by a
traditional alto clef than by an 8vb treble clef, but both are
unacceptable.

mdl