On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 07:35 AM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

There is some sort of badly written driver or something for Midiman devices for Mac, it appears. I hear nothing but problems from my Mac friends, who have all discarded their Midiman interfaces, and I have a 4x4 Midiman that decides once a day or so to stop listening to my MIDI keyboard. Also, I can never sleep my computer without losing all MIDI communications, and switching between Finale and Cubase causes MIDI to stop working whenever I switch back to Finale. Sometimes I can get it back up again by going into OMS and making the Output device None, then choosing my master keyboard again. Sometimes I just have to reboot. I have learned to live with it, but I'm not buying Midiman again, I can tell you.

I just wanted to mention that this does not square with my experience with M-Audio (formerly MIDIMAN) at all. In fact, I have found that M-Audio MIDI interfaces are the best MIDI interfaces for Finale under Classic -- they seem to work reliably in Classic under all configurations and for all Macintosh models. I have a Midisport 1x1, and I have never had the slightest bit of trouble with it, either in OS 9 or OS X. This is the first I've heard of any endemic problem with M-Audio interfaces, and I do wonder if there isn't something else the matter, like a bad USB hub, PCI card conflict, or extension conflict.

And also, RE: Chris's question about extension conflicts, Conflict Catcher used to be an essential tool for managing extension conflicts in OS 9. I don't know if they even sell it any more, though, as it has been rendered obsolete by OS X.

(Anyone who doubts the superiority of OS X should think back to the unhappy times when they had to troubleshoot extension conflicts.)

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY