John Ronai wrote:

I just got my first CD burner. It is made by a company called Mad Dog and comes with a software package called "Ahead Nero" Version 5. I am using Allegro 2002. I often use Allegro to arrange music for my Suzuki students to perform. I am interested in recording my arrangments on my CD burner at various speeds so that my students practice playing with a recording (they don't read music very well yet). Do I need to convert my Allegro files to a different file format such as mp3 or wav, and if so how would I do this?

Maybe not. Every modern (going back, on the MS side, to at least WIN 3.1) computer has some sort of MIDI playback capability, so you can distribute MIDI files via email, or on disk, and your students should be able to play them back through the computer, though the sound produced may not be the best tone quality available. Sound quality can be enhanced if the parents of your students are technology savvy, and have a MIDI output device hooked up to the machine.

Now, if your students lack MIDI, this may be the time to think about upgrading to Finale; 2k4 has built in capability to save as a WAV file, and for a few tens of dollars, one can purchase a file converter which will convert the WAV to MP3 format, among others; if your burning software gives the option of making "music CD's", and you burn MP3's to a CD, you will probably convert them to cda format files for playback in a typical CD player; if you burn you MP3's as "data files", then they will play back through an MP3 player. As to what software to use, when I was looking, a google (R) search for "WAV to MP3 converter" brought up several dozens of hits. I expect a similar search for "MID to MP3 converter" would have similar results. Sound quality may vary, depending upon the quality of your sound fonts.

ns