Time Warner Cable has just dealt a serious blow to those of us who live and work away from a metropolitan area and want to stay connected to civilization.

For those, like myself, who live in the Hudson Valley of New York State, north of New York City, we depend on cable not only for basic television reception, but also for FM radio reception. Within the past couple of weeks, Time Warner Cable pulled the plug completely on FM broadcast stations in this geographic region. This means that I can no longer receive WQXR out of NYC (and along with it, the Saturday MET broadcasts) our locally broadcast NPR FM station, WJFF, or WAMC, the NPR station out of Albany, New York.

What really hurts is that I just got the capability last month at my school to hook my sound system up in my choir room so that I could use WQXR for both my choir and my music history class. Poof, and it's gone now! So much for TWC supporting arts in education.

Instead, TWC is offering it's digital radio, some packaged stations of jazz, rock, classical and other assorted things. But absolutely no FM broadcasts.

For any of you who might be interested, I got the name of the regional Time Warner Cable marketing director who supposedly had significant responsibility for cutting off FM broadcast channels through cable, and if you're willing to write a letter asking that FM radio be brought back, here's the contact information:

Glen Bisogno
Marketing Director
Time Warner Cable
PO Box 10775
Newburgh, NY 12552

Thanks for letting me share this news with you in this forum. I hope the rest of you in other areas of this forum are spared from this cultural slap in the face by a major corporation in America.

Martin Banner
Monticello, New York