On 10 Dec 2003, at 07:10 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

The minidisc itself was not burned in the CD burner.

The rest all come from it.

It doesn't change my point, since anyone who is making CDs for
archival purposes will doubtless be using a single CD burner, and
probably CDs from a finite number of batches. This puts you in double
danger.

Well, YES, which is why you have to be careful about what equipment and media you choose! You wouldn't damn all hard drives as good for nothing but a "disposable, temporary backup" just because you had a single HD failure with a cheapo drive stored in hot, humid conditions.

I repeat: CDs are not very good as anything but disposable, temporary
backup.

Look, I know you had a bad experience here, but that's just anecdotal evidence. With the right media, the right burner, and proper care and diligence, optical media are more reliable long-term than almost any other consumer backup media.

That said, there's a lot of bad media out there -- hardly surprising when bulk blank CD-Rs are selling for less than $0.05 each. And bad optical media is *really* bad -- with a lifespan of two years or less. If you are just buying spindles of whatever's cheapest at Staples this week, then yes, David's advice is sound -- don't use *those* for anything you want to keep.

More info here:

<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml; jsessionid=NA3X4VEBRAUP2QSNDBCCKHQ?articleID=15800263&pgno=2>

- Darcy

-----