Greetings all,

On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 12:24 PM, Peter Lockwood wrote:

I'm a New Zealander who has been living in Europe for the last 23 years and I find this discussion extraordinarily interesting! I studied in London and whilst there heard the Cockney and Yorkshire accents; these seem to me to have been the greatest influence on the current NZ accent - and the Londoners and the Northeners formed over 80 percent of the immigrants from 1840 (first immigrant ship) to 1900 at least.