I think some of the postings on this thread show a greatly exaggerated idea of how
much time Makemusic have spent on the plugin interface. The notion that they are
packing lots of functionality into the plugin interface at the expense of program
function is laughable. The plugin interface is essentially unchanged since it was
introduced in Finale 97. The few enhancements Makemusic have provided since then are
minor (in terms of effort on their part), and we've had to beg, plead, and wheedle to
get them. The primary plugin-related effort Makemusic have funded has been enhanced
documentation of Finale data structures.

The plugin interface's power lies in its underlying simplicity. Plugins have
essentially direct and unfettered access to Finale's data.

Finale is a layered program. It has a U.I. that you see and an Enigma engine that does
all the work. The U.I. changes the Enigma data just as plugins do, but the Enigma
engine is what performs the magic. (Of course, I am simplifying.) The point is,
sometimes the Enigma engine implements features before Finale's U.I. does. This has
nothing to do with plugins per se, but a plugin can exploit an enigma engine behavior
even if it is not implemented in the U.I.

A good example of this is in the "Horizontal Offset" attribute of mid-measure clefs.
The Enigma engine implemented evpu horizontal offsets for clefs at least as early as
Finale 97, but they were not available in the U.I. until Finale 98. Another example is
varying fonts and styles for staff names, which were implemented in Enigma possibly as
early as Finale 1.0 but not available in the U.I. until Finale 3.0. (In Finale 2.6.3
you could do it with EMEL macros, which were crude precursors of plugins.)

Another laughable concept is that Makemusic programmers would all quit and start
writing plugins. I can't speak for anyone else, but my motivation for writing them has
never been money. I write them because 1) I need them myself and/or 2) sometimes the
challenge of doing something cool is too hard to resist. The money I make off them is
enough to buy some software upgrades and the occasional toy, but it hardly makes a
living.

--
Robert Patterson

http://www.robertgpatterson.com