> My own printer is a 300 dpi non-postscript laser printer, 14 years old.
> That's why I don't know if I can trust it enough to use my eye.

Yes, but whatever is the final printer for your work is where it has to look
good.  If you're using 300dpi for the final product, you would experiment to
see what settings look best on your particular printer.  If you're drafting
at home at 300dpi to eventually have a high-resolution printing elsewhere,
then it would be best to experiment to see what settings work best on that
other printer.

-DD