At 11:41 PM -0600 1/4/04, Richard Huggins wrote:
There's such a breadth of experience here, I figure someone here will know
this answer: I saw two orchestra broadcasts over the holidays where two
harps were used. I'm wondering if someone can explain to me how two harps
are used, for example: doubling the same part (and if so, why? for greater
sound or for thicker texture?); playing separate but simultaneous parts;
playing at different times, depending on the notes called for; or, other!
Are two harps more common than one, or is it entirely dependant on the
composer calling for two?

Not a question I've especially considered before, but if I were considering whether to ask for 2 harpists it would be either (a) because I need them to get the texture I want and it can't be done by one harp, or (b) because it's a very large orchestra and one harp wouldn't balance the way I want it to, although modern harps are designed to cut through an orchestra. As far as I can remember (and with no research whatsoever!), it's only in the large romantic orchestra works that you'll find 2 harps called for, and Berlioz may have been the first to do so. One is definitely more common, and around here, at least, it would be expensive to bring in a 2nd harpist from outside the area.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale