In the Berlioz Fantastique score from Dover, I do not see how the harps could perform the opening of the Ball without pedals or something equally effective, but I do not know the history of harp pedals.

Johannes Gebauer wrote:
On 05.01.2004 23:51 Uhr, Robert Patterson wrote

I may not have seen all the other posts on this subject, so pardon me if this
is a duplicate. In addition to adding volumn and texture, another reason to
use multiple harps is to avoid awkward pedal changes in chromatic passages. I
believe as early as the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique you can find examples
where they are deployed in this way.

Did they have Pedal harps as early as that?

Johannes

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com