At 7:48 AM -0500 1/11/04, David H. Bailey wrote:
I make the middle line stems go down all the time unless the notes are beamed to other notes and then the predominating stem direction takes over.
. . . I wouldn't think of making the stem of the C be an upstem just to make the slur look better.

Agreed, and furthermore, I think that the stem direction is part of what we are used to, part of what helps in sight reading. An isolated quarter or half with stem going the opposite of what i expect always stops my eye and confuses me for a nanosecond. It just looks "wrong".