Dennis wrote:

> > Ted Ross, on the direction of single note stems: "Some engravers
> > consider the middle line neutral and take the option of using either
up-
> > or down-stems for note that fall on it. However, more up-to-date
> > engraving no longer permits an option; now a down-stem is always
> > appropriate."

And G. Read says:

"For stem direction, the general rules are simple. When the note-head is
above the center line of the staff the stem goes down. When the note is
below the middle line of the staff, the stem goes up. When the note is
centered on the staff (on the third line), the stem may go in either
direction, although it is the more common practice to draw it down."

My own house rule is also:  "If the center-line note is approached from
below and is followed by a note below, one may us an up-stem, especially if
it helps avoid a collision with lyrics or placement of a slur above that
would force articulations or dynamic indications, etc, too far away from
the staff to which they pertain." You may quote me in class if you want.
JK- I know I heard this somewhere; anyone have a reference?

One could as easily opt for this rule, which I forget who proposed on a
discussion list (was it this one, many days ago? perhaps another....):  "If
the center-line note is followed by a note half its duration you may use an
up-stem."  How that one got started I don't know......

Aside: Ross can say up-stemming center-line notes is "no longer" permitted
all he wants. Whoopee. Any such pronouncements on behalf of the engraving
world come from a king no one crowned, in my opinion, whomever he may be.

As always, do what works!

Cecil Rigby