At 11:20 AM +0000 1/22/04, Colin Broom wrote:
If one has a very low register part for tuba, using the lowest notes, does
anyone know whether tubists generally prefer to read leger lines or an 8ve
symbol?  I'm guessing an 8ve symbol is better, but I know some
instrumentalists prefer to read leger lines, si I thought I'd see if anyone
here knew.

Cheers,

Colin.

Anything down to a D (5 ledger lines) I prefer ledger lines. That's also what I am used to seeing on professionally-copied parts. If it is lower than that, then it can't be moving very quickly in any case, so the arguments in favour of one or the other being quicker to read are moot. I would have trouble recognizing 6 or more ledger lines at sight, and part layout starts to become problematic.