Similar problem.
Had to update my Midiman 2x2 driver from the website. This was painless and worked fine after a restart.
Loaded some previous scores and the played back OK to my KBoard.

When I entered a new piece, 2 stave , 30 bars, and clicked to play back, Finale quit!! Tried again - QUIT.
Discovered the Human Playback option and when I disabled it Playback is fine.
Haven't had time to "delve" yet into "what i've done wrong" (or not). Seems fast enough, though.
Ah well, another voyage of discovery!!!

Stan Lord
London,  UK