At 12:55 AM -0500 2/02/04, Rich Caldwell wrote:
These are really old questions I'm sure, but I can't find answers to them:

I really hope someone will tell me there can be a way to transpose notes that are on a percussion staff (w/ a defined percussion map). I'm trying to take existing music and convert the percussion staves to mapped percussion staves. I've gotten it to work some of the time, but what I can't do is transpose the notes for a particular instrument so that they are on the "correct" space or line. Why on earth doesn't Finale let you move notes up and down on a percussion staff? What if you wanted to change the maracas in one section of your piece to a cymbal sound? Temporarily changing the staves to regular treble clef - so that one can use the mass edit>transpose - only makes matters worse.

Has anyone successfully come up with a method to map existing percussion staves? And if not, then why didn't Coda do something about this years ago?

I have butted against that particular wall a couple of times, and didn't find a quick solution (as I was on a deadline) so I just re-entered the notes on a new staff that I created jsut below the original, then deleted the old staff. I don't know why I can't transpose (or even drag!) notes on a percussion staff.

However, in retrospect I realise that a Staff Style with an edited percussion map might have done the job very neatly. You can apply it to only a portion of the staff if you want to re-map a maraca to a cymbal for only eight bars.

Let us know if that helps.

Christopher