On 6 Feb 2004 at 14:05, Roger McDuffie wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2004, at 2:58 AM, Mark D Lew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > As a matter of fact, on the Sibelius list there was recently a
> > question concerning how one could tell at a glance if a score were
> > engraved with Sibelius or Finale or Score, and one wise-ass replied
> > that if you could spot a measure with the incorrect number of beats,
> > it was a Finale score.
>
> >Does that mean you can't score a cadenza in Sibelius? Can't have a
> >pickup bar?
>
> I have never written anything resembling a cadenza in Sibelius, but
> one way of doing it is to hide bar lines and time sigs. Also, as far
> as I know and for an example, one could write a 47/16 time sig for one
> long bar and then hide the time sig. Play back would be something else
> altogether.

What about things like you see on the last page of this score:

http://www.bway.net/~dfenton/Collegium/Scores/MorleyRoses.pdf

where you have notation that is purposefully "wrong" because it's
musically clearer, with a dotted quarter note where only a quarter
not is allowed by the meter, in order that you don't have to have a
note tied. This makes the motive clearer, and is very helpful to
musicians.

Doing it this way in Finale also results in correct playback (there
is a hidden 8th rest on the downbeat of the next measure).

Can this be done in Sibelius?

> I write pickup bars in Sibelius all the time. Very simple to do. I
> think starting in version 3, Sibelius takes care of the bar numbering
> problem that could be created. I've been known to forget to make the
> next bar complete thus wasting a minute, but that may be fixed in
> version 3 too. I haven't used version 3.1 yet.
>
> Each version has been a big improvement. I wish Sibelius would go back
> to publishing little fixes for downloading rather than making us wait
> a year.

Finale's original pickup measure solution was (and still is)
terrible, so I think most of us just use measures in different meters
to accomplish the task.

Is there a plugin anywhere to manage measure number regions? I know
that it's a pain to do it with the builtin Finale functionality, or,
at least, it is for me!