On 09 Feb 2004, at 03:55 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

On Feb 9, 2004, at 5:06 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

In 4/4, one normally "shows" beat 3 of a measure when it contains eighth note values or smaller.

However, I've run into a situation where my source has the following rhythm:

[...]

In other words, an eighth-note triplet starting on the "and" of two.

[...]

What say you all?

I say it depends on the context and the style of music.

It's new classical mus… oh, er, I'm sorry. It's "nonpop."

For what it's worth, if it were jazz, I would *definitely* show the middle of the bar, although probably using Liudas's suggestion of putting the entire figure -- eighth - sixteenth-tied-to-sixteenth - eighth rest -- under a single triplet bracket. (i.e., one eighth-note triplet split down the middle, rather than two sixteenth-note triplets). But in this style, I think just the regular triplet is best, even if it crosses the "invisible mid-measure barline."

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY