On Feb 15, 2004, at 2:52 AM, d. collins wrote:

Gerou-Lusk: "Another help in reading melisma is the proper alignement of the lyric. The word or syllable, instead of being centered under the note, should be aligned flush left with the left edge of the notehead."

Ross: "I personally see no musical advantage to [this] rule."

How do others feel? Does it help or not the singer to have the melismas and tied notes left aligned?

As a singer, I can read either without distraction. Centered feels much more "normal" to me, but that's probably because of my background in opera, where the centered style is the standard.

mdl