> From: Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> My comment about the VPC tape binding method: If you are preparing parts or
> scores for performance, then this system works. Pages turn easily, and it's
> durable enough to hold through rehearsals and performances for some time. I
> rather suspect that they have a limited lifetime, as the glue of the tape
> must eventually get dry and then the things would collapse.
>
> However, if you want to get something that _looks_ professional, then I
> personally would not go for the VPC system. In my opinion it does not look
> very professional. It always has that kind of "home made on the kitchen
> table" look to it.

As Music Librarian for a ballet orchestra, I've been using VPC binding tape
to make performance parts for 8 years now. It's easy to use and fine for
binding parts up to about 15 sheets thick. At first there were occasional
problems with adhesive bleed from the tape making parts stick together, but
the VPC people fixed that a few years ago. I've been very happy with the
system, as have the musicians in the orchestra. Parts that were bound more
than ten years ago seem to be holding together quite well, so I have no idea
of the ultimate usable lifetime of the binding. If the tape would happen to
come loose, it's quite easy to just remove the old tape and redo the part.
The question of a "professional" look is of less importance to me than the
fact that the pages lie perfectly flat (unlike stapled fold-over books)
which is vital for a pit orchestra that performs using stand lights and
doesn't want to deal with shadows and uneven illumination.

Matt Naughtin
Music Librarian, San Francisco Ballet Orchestra