David,

I'm not sure why you used a blank notation staff style in the first place (maybe there weren't as many layer options in '97 or I'm missing a purpose for it here), but even by using your method I couldn't duplicate the problem (MacFin2k4). However, I have a suggestion that might work if you can't get your staff-style method to space correctly:

-Delete the staff style.
-Check the appropriate boxes in the layer options so that Layer 1 doesn't affect music spacing.
-Make Layer 4 Affect Music Spacing.
-Then while in Layer 1, show active layer only.
-Select All.
-Use the "Notes and Rests (Hide)" plug-in to hide all of Layer 1's notes.

Respace.

The problem probably is that Finale only ignores HIDDEN notes, which probably isn't how Finale is interpreting "Blank Notation," for whatever reason. If you really want to keep the staff style, it might work just to hide the notes while also making it blank. But for simplicity's sake, I would cut the staff style.

Rich

David W. Fenton wrote:

I just upgraded an older file (I think it began life as 3.52, was
converted to WinFin97, now into WinFin2K3), and I'm having fits with
the spacing for any measure with blank notation in layer 1 and notes
in layer 4 (that's how I implement ornaments, as blank notation in
layer 1, with the printed music in layer 4, which has no playback).

I've done this many times, but for whatever reason, it's taking the
hidden notation into account in spacing.

I assume that the settings I need should be in DOCUMENT OPTIONS under
LAYERS and MUSIC SPACING, but I can't seem to get any combination
that spaces music based on all visible layers only (in this
particular case, I have no instances of two visible layers at a time
in any one measure).

I've gone through and space things manually in all the measures where
this applies, but this is a *real* pain in the ass.

What am I doing wrong?