On 18 Mar 2004 at 8:52, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 17.03.2004 20:01 Uhr, David W. Fenton wrote
>
> > I don't understand why blank notation should affect spacing. Perhaps
> > other kinds of alternate notation should affect spacing, but blank
> > notation worked fine in WinFin97 in regard to spacing.
>
> Actually, it doesn't work either way. It doesn't even space the hidden
> notes correctly, it just creates a beat chart for them, but not one
> that can be called "spacing". So something is buggy.

Does anyone have Finale97 so they can see if it did it right? I have
files that were last spaced in WinFin97 and the spacing is acceptable
(if not entirely correct -- some of the problems are things that were
changed in the spacing algorithms later on, like how much space at
the beginnings and ends of measures). Well, just looking at one of
these correctly-spaced measures (from Finale97), I see that the beat
chart does *not* include the hidden notes, so WinFin97 seems to have
done it correctly.

It's pretty clearly a bug as it happens in WinFin2K3.

Now, can we get a rundown of which versions exhibit the problem? It
looks like it's still there in Finale2K4, if Johannes is seeing it. I
think somebody had Finale2K2 and said the problem was there? Can
anyone confirm this?

Is it better for each of us to report the bug for each version?