On Mar 18, 2004, at 7:40 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

EDUs make me crazy (the man behind the curtain is exposed), but I can
deal with them.

EDUs don't bother me much, and sometimes I even like them. Even so, I think it would make a lot of sense if Finale allowed for use of any of its units in any field by adding the proper suffix. For example, if your default unit is inches, "0.25" would give you a quarter inch, but so would "1.5pi" or "18pt" or "72evpu".

Something similar could apply to units of time. I don't know what the unit would be called, but you could have something where a whole note equals one, so for a quarter note you could type either 1024edu or 0.25 of whatever the new unit is. There might also be another unit where a quarter note equals one. (For that matter, why not just have a unit for every note size? So if you want a 64th note you can just type "1sx" rather than working out the decimal fraction.)

Mark, back when I had lyrics problems, you were the one who helped me
most with that, and now you've come through, again. Thank you so
much! You're a real asset to this list!

Thanks for the kind word. Others here have helped me tremendously, both on the list and off. I'm glad to be able to give back.

In this specific case, it was Michael Good who first showed me how to use the MIDI tool for appoggiatura playback.

mdl