On Mar 17, 2004, at 10:53 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

The puzzling part for me is that others are reporting that they can't
replicated it. Here's how to get it to happen:

I can replicate it.

I'm in Fin Mac 2k2 and my experience matches yours exactly. I too am finding that Finale always spaces the blank notes. Like you, I remember it being different in previous versions, though in my case I don't actually have an old file in front of me to prove it. I think you're right that something has changed, probably when blank notation staff style was introduced.