From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark D Lew
Sent: Sun April 2004 22:49
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Finale] syllabification

On Apr 11, 2004, at 1:10 PM, John Howell wrote:

> I should also point out that Mark's suggestion makes reading the words
> much quicker and intuitive.  But of course a singer isn't going to
> actually pronounce them that way.  Tacking the consonant onto the 2nd
> syllable is good vocal practice:  "may-keth," "lee-deth,"
> "re-stoh-reth," "pre-pa-rest."  In other words, the rules are
> different for printing (to make the word clear) and for singing (to
> make the words clear!).

We've been through this before.  Of course the singer is going to
pronounce the consonant at the beginning of the next note -- that's one
of the first things any choral singer is taught -- but it doesn't
follow that every consonant should be printed after the hyphen.

If you follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion you'd end up
with absurdities like "ha-llo-wed", "ki-ngdom", "te-mpta-tion", etc.
(Lord's Prayer on my mind this morning...).  If you're making a
pedagogical score for a class, maybe that makes sense, but for normal
publishing it's just not done.

There's also the matter of final consonants on a one-syllable word,
which good vocal practice will have the singer tack onto the beginning
of the next word. Are you going to print it that way, too?  "O - n'ea
-rth'a - s' i- t'i - s'i -n'hea-ven".

mdl