Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

You know, this is what I was referring to when I mentioned experienced programmers seeming to see things that I don't. I don't understand the term "relational database." Maybe if I did, I would "get" what all you guys want out of Finale.

Relational databases. See http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0%2C%2Csid13_gci212885%2C00.html
Basically, you split things into parts and link them together. Like test scores. You would have a name, their answers, the answer key all in separate tables linked together. You could put them all FLAT together, like a spreadsheet. But there is so much more you can do with data relationalized. Finale is like a spreadsheet. If it was more like a relational database, you could do a lot more with it.