On Jun 21, 2004, at 2:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

(4) Spacing usually follows the words as opposed to following the note-values.

To the extent that this is true, I would say it's sloppy engraving, not a standard to be imitated.

Again, as someone who started in instruments I find this disorienting, but it seems to be what singers are used to. There are, of course exceptions to this too, as I also see vocal music with spacing more heavily towards note values than word placement.

Right. The latter being the higher-quality stuff.

Spacing to the lyrics rather than the notes is more common in pop music than in classical, and even more so in over the past 10 or 15 years -- probably an example of software driving style. Just my opinion, but I'd say that recent pop music publishing has lower engraving standards generally and isn't something to be imitated.

mdl