On 22 Jun 2004 at 10:36, Harold Owen wrote:

> My opinions here are based on over 50 years as a composer, choral
> conductor, and singer in small and large ensembles and as soloist -
> including music of all ages and styles.

I haven't been at it as long as you, but I completely agree with your
conclusions on both subjects.

On placement of consonants, if singers don't do it right, it's
because they aren't properly trained. You can't overcome poor
training with notation, and using ties to try to do so is just going
to be confusing. I would use that notation only for a special effect,
for instance, where I wanted the consonant someplace *other than* the
normal place.