William Roberts wrote:

David Bailey wrote:

But they're just as bad at not fixing long-standing bugs that some
users have been complaining about for a long time as well as introducing new bugs and saying "we'll try to fix it in a future
upgrade."

So that rather than the two companies really goading each other
into offering superior products to each other, instead they seem to
be matching each other in corporate attitude.

Quick reality check, before all this bitching and moaning makes us
lose our perspective altogether: how many software companies have you
dealt with who will actually directly acknowledge a bug to you, and
tell you that they'll try to fix it in a future upgrade?  And how
many commercial software companies have you dealt with who will ship
a patched version just to fix a single problem?

Have you ever got an acknowledgement from a human being at Microsoft
about a bug in Word, say?  Or from a human being at Adobe about a bug
in Acrobat Reader?  Or from a human being at Macromedia about a bug
in Shockwave?

So because nobody does it, we shouldn't expect it?

Do you agree with your children when they say "Everybody's doing it, so I should be able to, also!" when the behavior is something you find to be either bad or improper? Don't you ever tell them that you expect BETTER from them?

Just because the software industry sucks in its response to consumer problems and complaints and refuses to acknowledge that it markets flawed producst, we shouldn't bother to complain?

Wow, I never would have thought about it that way. Interesting point of view.

--
David H. Bailey