Responding to the following bit of my whimsy,

I don't think there are firm rules to distinguish between these terms. In my own usage, the use of the words "transposition", "transcription", "adaptation", and "arrangement" is determined by the amount of change to the original material. A transposition only changes the key signature.

Mark wrote, in part

Well that raises another interesting point. Strictly speaking, you may be correct, but as a practical matter, if I'm writing a transposition of a piano-vocal piece and I'm at all serious about it, I'm going to review the result to make sure it still works well, and if the transposition calls for minor adjustments I will make them.

Some specific examples:

- Sometimes a piano chord which was playable in the original becomes unplayable when moved to another key. Usually this can be fixed with a minor adjustment that makes no significant change to the sound.

whis is why I specifically wrote in later in the post to which Mark was responding that a certain amount of flexibility is required. Somewhere between changing one chord, and changing all the chords, it stops being a tranposition and becomes an arrangment. But if I ever knew at what point that was, I've long since forgotten.

ns