On Aug 25, 2004, at 12:11 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Surely there are valid reasons, such as comparisons between web sites
when you're buying something online (or just shopping online) or when
selecting a batch of items on, say, Amazon, or doing research and
collecting a group of references.

Sure there are valid reasons. I'm not denying that. But I don't generally work that way. Also, it sounds like I don't use the Web nearly as much as you do. I don't shop online, for instance.

Is minimizing impossible? Or resizing the various windows to utilize
your screen real estate according to the way you want it used?

It's not a matter of real estate. It's a matter of having things left open. I just don't like the feeling. Sure, I can minimize, but then there's all these little tiny icons for the minimized stuff. I'd rather just have them closed. I'm not saying it's more efficient. I'm just saying i like it better that way. In fact, in many cases I know it's less efficient. If it were just a matter of saving a valuable seconds then it would make sense to have all the apps you use regularly open all the time (which I suppose some people probably do...).

I don't bounce around. The choice is between this: [snip]

We just have different habits. Your entire discussion implies following a dozen or more web links in one sitting, and that notion alone feels distasteful to me, no matter how one navigates them.

If you like to minimize the number of open windows, then tabs *help*
with that goal, so I don't see why you would reject them out of hand,
even if you're not a web-browsing lunatic like myself.

"Reject" is such a strong word. I've never played an oboe, and I very likely never will. That doesn't mean I'm rejecting oboes out of hand, nor telling others not to play them. It's just something that I don't do.

mdl