On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:39:55 -0400, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> now I've got a utility to minimize everything that's typically running into
> the system tray (mail, browser, audio editor, Finale, etc.).

Out of curiosity, what utility is that?

> I've never really found much of a use for multiple visible windows with
> screen real estate so tight.

Amen!

> And I'm spoiled by Opera because it's been a one-instance browser for a
> long time.

Are you using 7.54 yet? Pretty nifty, eh? Of course, I'm using Firefox
these days (even though I've actually paid to register Opera) because
a) it is very customizable with Extensions and b) it supports gmail.
The problem with gmail not working in Opera is actually a browser
fault, not a website fault.

> Idle question that I've wondered about: Do Macs maximize yet?

Yes.
Well, kinda.
OS X has a "Zoom" button in the top-left corner of each window, but
not every program utilizes it to maximize the current window to
full-screen. Many just maximize to show window content as fully as
possible; for example, Word will only maximize to the width of the
page and/or writing area.

> and all the various
> system toolbars & menu things couldn't be hidden (I may not have been in
> the presence of power users, and I've never used a Mac myself).

In OS X, the only thing you always need to see is the menu bar, which
has the Apple menu, the "File," etc. menus for the current app, and
the clock (and any of several other "menu bar" elements you can put in
there as well, if desired). Basically the Mac analog to the Windows
taskbar. The only time I've ever been able to hide it is when using a
Safari plug-in called Saft that enables full-screen browsing in the
manner you described for Opera. However, my default browser is Firefox
in OS X as well...

> But for now, there's not enough room for my eyes!

I have set all of my OS X applications that allow it (Web browsers,
FTP clients, Finale, and the like) to always show up fully maximized.
I do this in Windows, as well (which is pretty much everything in that
environment).

Based on your working style as you've described it, Dennis, allow me
to recommend another Windows utility that you might find useful. It's
called HotChime ( http://www.chime.tv/products/hotchime.shtml ), which
allows you to hit a predefined key (I use the Pause/Break key) to
bring up a small floating window that accepts any number of
customizable HotWords that you can use to launch Web sites, programs,
Windows shortcuts, Google searches, etc. It helps you to dissociate
from you mouse even further, and it also allows you to auto-maximize
every program opened by a HotWord.

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]