At 8:19 PM -0700 8/27/04, John Poole [Finale Discussion] wrote:
I've read that in instances where page turns are needed for solo players to warn them that a quick page turn is necessary in order to keep up with the group, the appropriate marking is "v.s." for volti subito (Italian).

John: This is absolutely standard in orchestral music, especially in string parts which sometimes have no rests for page turns. Actually I've never come across it in solo music at all. I would strongly suggest using this notation, on whichever page is appropriate. Your Italian may be accurate, although I've always had it explained as vide sequentia (see what follows).

There will obviously be instances where alacrity is not needed, nonetheless I'd like to have a symbol on one of the players part for assigning the task. It seems using "v.s." in general would be inappropriate when speed is not needed.

V.S. (capitalized, by the way) does not imply speed. It's simply a warning that the music continues overleaf. Now granted, pianists will not be familiar with the notation, so you should probably give an explanation, but it's a very standard notation.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale