I'm new to the world of Finale, or any other music notation software. I am really interested in producing a fine orchestra quality sound from the scores, would I be better off using an hardware or a software synth ?

Godofredo Romero

gj.berg wrote:

Funny thing is -- being far too impatient I have always channels instead of patch changes -- plus I'm still at 32 channels! Gee whiz I'm on the cusp of tech induced euphoria of the like I haven't experience since say 1991!

Now if I can finally make the leap from Mac to Win I'll finally get that money buzz I've been missing my whole computer life.

Thanks all,
Jerry

dhbailey wrote:

gj.berg wrote:

This looks like an idea which has finally arrived. I must say I wasn't knocked out by the string sounds. Seemed mostly to consist of vague attack and no body of sound. Can these software synths be used in conjunction with hardware synths?

Finale allows you to assign channels in groups of 16 to various midi ports, so in theory the answer would be yes, you could use soft synths in conjunction with hardware synths.

It reality, however, there are often latency issues, where a hardware synth will respond much faster (at the speed of electricity) while a software synth lags behind just a bit (sometimes just a few milliseconds, sometimes as much as a half-a-second, one full beat at q=120, depending on the softsynth).

Then there are the channel issues -- apparently GPO uses channels to achieve its various sounds, not patch changes. So if you want several different violin sounds, such as arco, pizzicato, con sordino, right there you are using 3 different channels for one staff in your score.

Hardware synths use patch changes, although you could conceivably accomplish the same thing with channels, where you set up each channel to a different patch at the start of the work and then you don't run into any timing issues or dropped notes at the sound changes.

So, while in theory the answer is YES, in reality you might have to spend a fortune and spend a long time looking for components and softsynths which will work together to get a perfectly synchronized, perfectly played back score.