On 13 Sep 2004 at 8:43, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:

> I fully concur with Allen and go a little further: I've found that HP
> has SO much proprietary intrusiveness to all their hardware, using
> their products -- or worse, getting rid of their componentry -- became
> a nightmare.

I have to disagree. I have lots of clients with scanners, and the HP
scanners have been troublefree, while all other brands of scanners
have had frequent problems. And the quality produced by the HP
scanners has been uniformly better than the others. Also, the
scanning software for the HPs is simpler to use (even if I sometimes
find it frustrating myself for more complex tasks).

The only client who has ever had a problem with an HP scanner was one
with an older model that was installed on their new WinXP PC.
Eventually, we determined that WinXP was the cause of a whole host of
problems and "downgraded" the PC to Win2K. The scanner no longer
causes problems, so I won't blame the problems on HP.