Owain,

It's a different theoretical model.  Of course it's "wrong" according
to the standard theoretical model -- it's an alternative theory of
tonality, modality, harmony, etc.  If it didn't reject the norms of the
standard model it wouldn't be an alternative theory, would it?

- Darcy

That, in a nutshell, is what's wrong w. most music theory. If I say "A is derived from
B," I am making a historical
statement: A came first, and B both came later and had its origins provably in A. You
can't just set up any
old system and consider it equally valid with any other system ahistorically.

Similarly, if I make a general statement RE the nature of scales, then the truth of my
statement is testable
against the behavior of actually existing scales and is not purely arbitrary. And when
we get into such very
broad musical phenomena as scales, questions of human nature become involved, and
these too cannot be
ignored if one wishes to be taken seriously.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.netcom.com/~kallisti