Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 14 Oct 2004, at 10:19 PM, Richard Yates wrote:

In the series on C, don't the overtones go C, C, G, C, E, G ?

Yeah, but it doesn't stop there.

Continuing from where you left off:  Bb, C, D, E, F#.

The Bb and F# are out of tune (by equal-tempered tuning standards).

And these upper partials are so remote that claiming that they 'explain' a
minor triad is where plausibility is stretched beyond reason.

Look, John Howell was just answering Owain's question(/challenge):

"Show me a minor triad in the overtone series, and I'll concede."

David Bailey (apparently) didn't know about the overtone series beyond the fifth overtone, so I explained John's answer for him.

In my defense, I have to state publicly that I very much DID know about the overtone series beyond the 6th partial. My stupidity lay in not properly reading the original challenge, that it was a MINOR triad that was being sought.

--
David H. Bailey